Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Argh!

I haven't posted anything for a while because I've been working on a story. That sounds like a good thing. Writer, story, good. Yeah, not so much.

A story with fewer than 1500 words shouldn't take me a week to do. Yes, there are other things I have worked on, but the majority of my writing time this week was spent on one short story. Argh!

The problem is the main character - she doesn’t talk much. She’s more of a listener than a talker. That’s great except when she does talk, she’s picky and stubborn. She stopped talking to me sometime this weekend and absolutely refused to tell me more of her story until I got it just the way she wanted.

Out went the outline. I didn’t stop writing, but it was rough going. One sentence at a time rough. Those parts will need a lot of revision, because the character’s voice isn’t very strong there.

Eventually, though, I figured out what she wanted, and the story is moving along. Her voice is stronger in these parts. Once this story is done, I hope to write a proper blog post. I read lots this week, but didn’t really analyze the characters as much as I would have liked.

What are you reading?