Friday, February 10, 2012

Reference Book Rehash - Week 1 (WGBfYA)


Author: Regina Brooks
Title: Writing Great Books for Young Adults

This week I worked on the first chapter of Writing Great Books for Young Adults, by Regina Brooks. This chapter isn't an introduction, but it's along the same lines. No exercises, but it does lay down five rules for engaging young readers. The last two were very appropriate for me this week.

I've been thinking of writing a story, and the idea that kept coming to me was a combination of things that I haven't done before, and I haven't seen much like it on the YA shelves. Rule four tells us to write the manuscript before we worry about how it's going to do on the market. Write the story as it comes to you. I guess that answers my concerns about whether I should bother writing that story. Maybe something great will come out of it.

Chapter two is where the meat of the book starts, with exercises to work through, so I hope to have some great insights after next week's reading.

Have you heard any "rules" lately that struck a chord with you? Any words to live by that started bells ringing?