Sunday, January 18, 2015

Setting the Tone

One of the things I love about this time of the year is setting the tone for the rest of the year. (It's definitely not the weather!) I have a group of friends who get together as close to the first of January as we can. We spend a day chatting about the types of things that have been going on in our lives and how we want them to work out. It's a girls' day out - with a purpose.

2012 - the year of many doors
Rather than setting new year's resolutions that we'd break before the week was out, one of our favorite things to do is sit down with blank poster boards - my favorite are tri-fold - and make vision boards for the year. We scour through magazines on all sorts of topics, cut out any pictures or phrases that jump out at us, then glue them all down to the board. Little bits of logos and strange advertisements become positive visual reminders of the things we want to accomplish. 


2013 - happiness, imagination, and inspiration
It's also fun at the end of the year and see how well it stacked up to what we planned. The year my vision board focused on doors was the year I went to England. When I looked at my vacation photos I was surprised to see that I had taken more photos of doors there than almost anything else. Was it my subconscious speaking to me? Probably. Now I'm using those photos and that vision board as inspiration for the novel I'm working on.

I love starting my day by looking at the board for inspiration. Starting the day off with a positive image and a smile make everything seem just a little easier to get through. I also like seeing which little bit will pop out at me that I may not have noticed for a while.

What about you? What do you use to set the tone for your year?